I am an assistant professor of computer science at UCLA. I lead the Machine Intelligence (MINT) group, where we develop AI systems that can interact and reason with limited supervision. My current research is at the intersection of generative models and sequential decision making. On the applied side, I actively ground this research for developing systems and software for data-driven scientific discovery, particularly in climate and sustainability domains via the ML4Climate initiative.
Before joining UCLA, I spent a gap year as a research scientist in the Core ML team at FAIR, Meta. I completed my postdoctoral training at UC Berkeley (advisor: Pieter Abbeel), PhD at Stanford University (advisor: Stefano Ermon) and bachelors at IIT Delhi (co-advisors: Mausam, Parag Singla), all in computer science. During my PhD, I spent wonderful summers interning at Google Brain, Microsoft Research, and OpenAI.
- Honored to be selected for the Forbes Under 30 List.
- Honored to be selected as a Kavli Fellow by the US National Academy of Sciences.
- Thank you Washington Post, MIT Tech Review for covering our research on ClimaX. My comments on the field more broadly in Nature and Science
- ClimaX wins the best paper award at ICML Workshop on ML and Scientific Modeling. Congrats Tung!
- CleanCLIP wins the best paper award at ICLR Workshop on Trustworthy and Reliable Large-Scale ML. Also to be presented as oral presentation (acceptance rate: 1.8%) at ICCV. Congrats Hritik!
- Looking forward to serving as the General Co-Chair for the 3rd Causal Learning and Reasoning Conference (CLeaR) in 2024.
- Honored to receive the AI Researcher of the Year Award by Samsung.
- Upcoming talks:
- NeurIPS Workshop on Robustness of Few-shot and Zero-shot Learning in Foundation Models (Dec 2023)
- Amazon (Dec 2023)
- Indian Symposium on Machine Learning (Dec 2023)
- SIAM Conference on Uncertainty Quantification (Feb 2024)
- Recent talks: SoCalNLP Symposium (Keynote), Columbia, National University of Singapore, HydroML Symposium (Keynote), KDD Environment Day (Keynote), Argonne National Lab, Sony Research, UCSD Scientific ML Symposium (Keynote)